Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Solar Project Designer
Job ID 660733
Description Job Summary
The Solar Project Designer’s primary role is to design and permit photovoltaic systems for commercial level projects initially and later for utility level projects. The incumbent will provide design leadership from concept design through to complete drawings submittal including coordination with client, governmental agencies and consultants. The role plays an important function as the design expert for the Solar Services group of Lend Lease. The Solar Project Designer will work in collaboration with team members performing estimating, project management, scheduling, energy and financial analysis. Will be responsible for developing complete sets of construction drawings, from concept design (whether originated internally or managing external consultants), through obtaining all approvals and permits.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements areintendedto describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
* Lead the design of commercial (and later utility scale solar systems), including but not limited to the electrical, orientation/site layout, and mechanical aspects of the projects, including Interpreting site survey data to create system designs and submit for internal review, by means of:
* Create concept designs (panel layouts, schematic single line drawings, standard details (fixings, foundations) etc, or
* Procure concept designs (panel layouts, schematic single line drawings, standard details (fixings, foundations) using retained 3rd party consultant, no-win no fee assistance from suppliers or other methods as agreed by the project team, or
* Evaluate concept designs (prepared by others), including panel layouts, schematic single line drawings, standard details) for risks and opportunities and suggest amendment
* Support the ‘scoping’ of bids, providing templates and assistance to local offices.
* Use AutoCAD to create drawings for proposed rooftop and ground-mount systems. Perform ampacity calculations, including voltage drop, load flow and short circuiting. Perform single line diagrams, PV source and output circuit details, combiner boxes and overcurrent protection selections.
* Manage 3rd party engineering consultants, including securing calculations, drawing packages, professional stamps.
* Create and maintain Lend Lease’s design standards and AutoCAD drawing packages; create Bills of Materials for projects, where necessary.
* Assist Project Executives and construction Project Managers with design related questions, responding to RFIs from the field.
* Conduct site visits, including occasional domestic travel.
* Assist in the process of submission of permits with the local authority having jurisdiction.
* Assist in the creation and development of a Design Delivery Schedule in conjunction with the client, Project Manager other associated Design Managers, the Senior Construction Manager, and the design consultants.
* Develop comprehensive scope-of-work packages and contract document deliverable lists.
* Assist in negotiating the scope-of-work, deliverables and price with consulting firms.
* Work with the client, Design Managers and the Design Consultants to deliver designs that respond to the design brief while meeting the client’s expressed objectives and needs.
* Maintain an on-going design cost forecast that reflects the cost of the most current design schedules, staffing requirements, consultant agreement and all associated task orders.
* Assist the Project Manager in incorporating onto the D&C running sheet all internal and external design and cost issues.
* Ensure that all relevant reviews occur, including design progress reviews and relevant management review of cost plan issues that affect the design.
* Maintain a design document log that tracks the production and delivery of the design documents.
* Research and understand the local building code and develop an understanding of unique local design considerations.
* Assist in directing design development through to issue of Approved for Construction” drawings to ensure incorporation of review comments and adherence to established estimates
* Help facilitate RFI’s, RFS’s, and submittals in timely manner.
* Manage all bulletins and modifications to design documents.
* Maintain contact with project construction management personnel throughout the construction process to acquire feedback on design, changes, modifications, products, subcontractors and budgets
* Assist in business development efforts and identify new work opportunities.
Required Skills • 10 or more years of construction and/or electrical engineering experience. At least 3 years of experience designing photovoltaic systems for commercial or utility level projects.
• Possess a strong knowledge of electrical design, preferably in power generation, along with materials and methods of installation.
• Must be highly organized and capable of working on multiple projects, possess excellent communication skills and demonstrate strong leader capabilities. Ability to organize and lead small groups and meetings.
• Must be proficient with AutoCAD and able to use it to generate detailed construction drawings. Must additionally be familiar with standard estimating and scheduling software (i.e. Primavera, Timberline, etc.)
• Must be able to perform quick and accurate measurement and conceptual estimating.
• 4 year Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering, or other Engineering or Construction Management major preferred.